Understanding Homeowner Insurance Deductibles If Your Property Has Been Damaged


Understanding Homeowner Insurance Deductibles If Your Property Has Been Damaged


Taking out residential Property Owners Insurance is an important way to protect you and your family if you are a homeowner. Most mortgage providers will insist that you take out Property Owners Insurance before releasing funds but, even if this is not the case, taking out this kind of cover is always sensible. Contents Insurance can protect against loss, damage or theft of your belongings but the costs can be extremely high if your home itself is damaged.

Click Here To Get In Touch With Crowthorne Insurance

Property Owner Insurance UK providers can help cover you against these costs in a wide range of circumstances, such as fire, flooding, storm damage or a vehicle colliding with your home. You can also take out Home Insurance Public Liability, which covers you against injury or damage to property when someone else is visiting your home.

What Are Insurance Deductibles?

If you’re wondering how to find the best home insurance, one important factor to consider is the issue of deductibles, which are also known as excess. This is the amount you will have to put towards any claim that you make. If, for example, you make a claim for £4,000 to fix damage to your roof and you have an excess of £400, your insurer will give you £3,600. You will contribute the £400 yourself.

These excesses can vary widely and can affect the amount you pay for your insurance. All other things being equal, your monthly or annual premiums will be lower the higher the excess or deductibles you agree to pay. It’s also worth noting that some home insurance policies may not cover every type of damage or loss. Known as exclusions, these could include damage from flooding, terrorism or even DIY. If you are not happy with the coverage provided, you should find how to change home insurance provider or how to find home insurance with tailored cover.

How To Switch Home Insurance Providers

Some insurance providers will let you change your policy to a more comprehensive (and expensive) one but, if you want to change your provider, you will usually have to pay a cancellation penalty or wait until your current insurance is nearly up. Don’t forget to halt your current insurance, as some may ‘roll you over’ onto a new year-long policy.

You can use comparison websites, but these often show only basic policies. If you’re looking for tailored insurance, going directly to a broker like Crowthorne Insurance can provide more specialist cover so you have just the protection you need.

Click Here To Get In Touch With Crowthorne Insurance

Image source: geograph.org.uk

home insurance